Some of my girlfriends have asked me for a list of baby product recommendations so they can go to BRU and not lose their minds. I distinctly remember our first visit there when I was pregnant - M and I almost had heart attacks thinking "we need two of all of this stuff?" Fear not, prego friends, you do not need most of that stuff. A few things are really important though. Anything that makes baby sleep or makes baby stop screaming is essential. The trick is that every baby seems to have their own little set of rules about what makes them sleep and stop screaming. Good Luck and SLEEP NOW!
Here is my list of the things you really need and will actually use:
- Car Seat - its the law :) Chicco Keyfit30 is really nice, albeit a bit heavy.
- Pack n' Play - bassinet topper and changer station are great for the first few weeks/months if you want baby to sleep in your room. Then later you can use the bottom portion as a portable crib for travel.
- Boppy - great for propping up baby so they are not flat on their back all the time
- Snap n' Go stroller - cheap, folds up small and lets you snap your car seat in and go
- Playmat - Love this! We started using this at 2 months and still use it multiple times a day. I highly recomend the TinyLove Deluxe Playgym.
- Blankets - We like the SwaddleMe ones in fleece for swaddling (duh) and love the Aden & Anais blankets for just about everything else.
- Breastpump - Medela Pump in Style and storage bags.
- Bottles - Dr. Brown's. A few of the 4 oz and more of the 8 oz.
- High Chair - you don't need this right away, but the Fisher Price SpaceSaver models are nice if you don't want to use floor space. It straps onto any regular chair.
- Diapers and Wipes - Costco rules for disposable diapers and wipes. We use BumGenius Elemental All in One cloth diapers at home.
- Shampoo and Diaper Cream - We love all the Burt's Bees and California Baby products.
- Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch - put fussy baby in and like magic the baby falls asleep!
- Ergo - better than the Bjorn because it holds the weight on your hips and not just your shoulders. Also lets you wear older baby/toddler on back
- BOB Revolution jogging stroller - spendy, but awesome!
- Bouncer Seat - Fisher Price Rainforest keeps the natives entertained
- Jumparoo - Fisher Price Rainforest wins again
- Backseat mirror
- Dr. Brown's mixing pitcher - great for mixing formula in batches
- Video Monitor - Summer Infant Handheld Color
- SleepSheep Sound Machine
Bottle warmers, wipe warmers, bed quilts, baby bath towels
If you like doing your own research, I recommend reading the current version of the Baby Bargains book. Its like the Consumer Reports for all baby gear and is totally essential for figuring out which brand is best.