October 14, 2014

The Morning Race

I went back to work at my part-time gig a few weeks ago. The morning race to get to work is becoming more routine, but man it still takes forever! Before KIDS I would wake up, take a shower and get dressed and get to work about an hour later. Now it is more like three hours and some days I have to laugh to keep my Type A self from crying at the inefficiency of it all. This was today:

6:00 am: I hear Ariana wake up and start to talk on the baby monitor. I lay in bed with my eyes closed for a few more precious minutes.

6:10 am: Ariana is starting to fuss so I roll out of bed and walk to her room. I get her up and nurse her in her rocking chair. My eyes are closed for a few minutes and then I read my Facebook on my Kindle while she finishes feeding.

6:30 am: Put Ariana back in her crib to go back to sleep and hop in the shower.

7:00 am: After I get dressed (happy that the first outfit I pick out works with my nursing/post-baby body), go downstairs and eat leftover fritatta, roasted beets and apple slices for breakfast. Really thankful for breakfast leftovers.

7:15 am: Pack up bottles and diapers for daycare, my work bag, pumping bag and start loading things in my car.

7:30 am: Just as I was headed upstairs to wake up the baby to leave, Lexi and Zara come out of their room and M is in the shower. The girls both whine about minor injuries they have already suffered in the 30 seconds since they woke up so I calm them down and usher them downstairs. Neither one of them is dressed, but Lexi has her clothes in hand so I help her get dressed.

7:40 am: I throw together breakfast for the girls - leftover pancakes and greek yogurt with honey and get them settled at the table.

7:45 am: I wake up Ariana, change her poopy diaper, get her dressed for the day and nurse her one more time.

8:00 am: Put Ariana in her car seat and say goodbye to M and the girls. Brush Lexi's hair because she whines that she "only want's Mommy to do it." {M will finish his own "race" to get the twins to preschool by 8:30}

8:05 am: Finally in the car leaving the house with Ariana and notice my gas light is on.

8:15 am: Drop the baby off at daycare. She gives the morning teacher big smiles, sweet girl.

8:30 am: Traffic is actually moving pretty well and I get to the gas station quickly. Sit and wait for the attendant and wish I lived in a state where I could pump my own gas.

8:40 am: Hop on the freeway and go about a mile before I'm sitting in traffic on the freeway. Awesome.

9:00 am: Pull into the office parking garage and it's full. I circle the six floors of the garage in hopes that someone is leaving. No such luck. Finally get out of the garage and park several blocks away in two-hour street parking.

9:20 am: Take the elevator up to my office, get a cup of tea and sit down to answer emails and decompress from the morning. Now I just have to plan when I'm going to pump and when I'm going to move my car in between my morning meetings.

The mornings with three kids are hectic for sure, but I'm thankful for a husband that works at home most days and helps get kids ready and take them to preschool. I'm also thankful for a baby that sleeps through the night most of the time so at least I'm somewhat rested and not totally sleep deprived. My job is pretty flexible with arrival times unless I have a meeting scheduled first thing in the morning. I know you "just do what you gotta do," but I'm not sure I could do it all on my own full-time like so many mamas do. Huge kudos to all that do.

No comments:

Post a Comment